If you’ve been slowly transforming your home into the oasis you’ve been dreaming of for years, you may have recently put in a new fencing! Congratulations! We get many clients asking us whether it’s better to paint their new wooden fence or to stain it. The most important thing to do is protect it with something before inclement weather strikes! Plain wood is gorgeous, but it isn’t going to hold up well to the ever-changing Fort Collins weather. Both staining and painting will protect your fencing, so consider which is the best fit for your home:
- Painting is perfect if you want to color coordinate with your garden or the rest of your home.
- Most latex paints dry in a matter of hours, meaning your fence will be fully protected, even if we get a downpour the next day.
- You can select your sheen. Whether you prefer matte or glossy, we can make it happen!
- Paint is usually a bit pricier than a stain.
- More work is needed since painting requires priming and usually a few coats to make the entire color uniform.
- Stain does not require priming and the color will likely be uniform without as much concentration.
- It enhances the natural beauty of the wood.
- Stain doesn’t peel or crack!
- You may need a lot more stain to evenly coat your fence if the wood is highly absorbent.
- Stain requires very special conditions to set properly; it needs warm weather where rain isn’t expected for two days!
Whatever you decide for your fencing, be sure to call us! The professional painters at Horner Painting are here to help you turn your fence into a beautiful part of your home. Contact us today to learn more about our services.